With such a large percentage of people involved in online activities these days, itís the perfect time for member organizations to move their elections online. Consider the following:
- More than ever, elections and voting efforts are vital to member associations.
- A large proportion of organization members have access to the Internet and are familiar with online applications.
- Increased participation is an important objective.
- Organizations are challenged with finding ways to reduce the cost of voting, and at the same time, increase participation.
When planning an online election for a member organization, you will go through the following five-step planning process:
- Election Ballot Development
- Creating a Voter Database
- Generating Election Invitations
- Ensuring Security
- Results and Reporting
The election development phase is when an organization specifies the scheme and logistics of its voting event. During election development, the organization establishes a plan that covers:
- A Voting method
- Issues & Candidates on the ballot
- Configuration of the online ballot
- Applicable information to include on the ballot
- Member cognizance strategy
- Polling open and close times & dates
- Results announcement time & date